Wednesday, November 23, 2011

How do I file my VA state taxes if my husband is a Marine and a residence of TN. I had to have VA state?

licenses before my job would hire me. TN does not pay state taxes. On our federal we were told to file jointly. Now how do I file my state without including my husbands income that wasn't taxed by VA?How do I file my VA state taxes if my husband is a Marine and a residence of TN. I had to have VA state?
Married filing separatelyHow do I file my VA state taxes if my husband is a Marine and a residence of TN. I had to have VA state?
Do NOT file separately. For a long list of reasons, you NEVER come out ahead on the federal that way. For one thing, you don't get the deductions of a single person, you get half of the married deductions. Married filing seperately is ONLY a good idea if your spouse is reporting something bogus and you don't want to sign their return.





There are special residency rules for military personnel. I'm sure the Marines have someone who can explain this to your husband. If you file a joint return with your husband, you may be able to reduce your taxes. I can't give specific tax advice without more information. However, if you don't pay taxes in the state of residency, the state where you earned the taxes will assess them - i.e. you can't get all of your VA witholding back and not pay TN. You will need ot file in VA since you earned income there, and the form may be different since you are considered a nonresident. I would recommend using a tax office near the base, they will have experience with this. Try to get a recommendation from someone, don't just pick one by driving by!
when my husband was military we had to file by his home of record, so even though we lived in california, we had to file state taxes for PA , and in our case PA doesnt pay state taxes, so we didnt have any garnished from his pay thus we didnt get any money back when it was time to file
File a joint return with your husband, Military are tax exenpt in Va. from state tax. You are entiteld to many tax exenptions so under your status. There is free help under JAG thay will help you or point you in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment