Tuesday, August 24, 2010

How can my husband train to be a plumber?

He has tried to get onto a part time course to do NVQ in plumbing but didn't get on. He really wants to do this but can't do an apprenticeship because he's too old (- over 24!).How can my husband train to be a plumber?
there are loads of course on the net, one week redidential courses and the like.How can my husband train to be a plumber?
Have you tried calling the major companies to see if they have apprenticeships? They usually pay for the course if they know you are doing well and are serious. Put your name on the waiting lists as well, you can always turn it down if things work out.





Don't worry, my brother-in-law just did the course and is now with a large plumbing company... and he's 32! I'm 32 with kids and am at uni studying a course I've always dreamed of working in.... Never give up.





Good luck.
ask him to mend your pipe for practise
24 is not old to be an apprentice, i know several older apprentices in their 40's (but they are training to be journeyman electricians). the only thing that will keep you from being a good apprentice is the ability to learn. union apprenticeship is perhaps the best training available if you want to be a plumber.
I am trying to do the same. I tried to get on a course but got told there was a 3 year waiting list. There are various private courses on the internet but they seem to range from 拢2,500 to 拢3,500. I think the best way is to phone round local plumbers and see if they need any help with general labouring, at least this way he will be learing the trade and getting paid even if its not much.
The best way would probably be to get on an apprenticeship, and apart from doing the course at college it is the only other way I can think of. I wasn't aware that there is an age restriction on apprenticeships, my dad has apprenticies that are in their 30's. See if there is a training college, where I live we have Training 2000 where you go to learn theory a couple of days and then you go and apprentice for a few days.
Seriously, DON'T DO IT! The pay is nothing like what the press says!

No comments:

Post a Comment