Friday, August 20, 2010

How do I choose the perfect cast net for my husband?

My husband's birthday is coming up and he loves to fish off the Carolina coast. I would like to get him a nice cast net and I understand that Calusa is the best brand. Now, I have to choose a size. He will be using it to catch bait (typically minnows). And the water is pretty shallow. What does 1/4'; mesh x 7' high mean? And does he need a slow sink or a fast sink?





Thanks for your help!How do I choose the perfect cast net for my husband?
Calusa is definately the best, but they are also the most expensive, as usual. You may not need to spend so much, as you will see from looking at this site. The 1/4 inch is the size of the holes in the net, which should be fine for minnows, peanut bunker, etc.. The 7 foot part is the diameter of the net when opened, the area that it will cover when thrown, so this # should be fine for you as well, especially if he is a beginner, as throwing a net takes a good amount of practice and getting used to. Heavy weighted nets, or fast sinking, are meant for deeper water, like if your throwing fom a boat or pier or something as they will sink faster. The lighter weighted nets, or slow sinking, are meant for the shallows and for throwing from the shore. Hope this helped and you sound like a great wife !!How do I choose the perfect cast net for my husband?
Two thumbs up for you beachgal... you are a trophy wife!!! Buy the lucky guy the 1/4 X 7' fast sink net. It's a good all around net should he venture out of the shallows and into deeper water or encounter a swift current, he can still get bait. He will need to practice with any cast net he gets so why not make it the best! Tight lines.
well the brand is good. the 1/4'; mesh is the size of the hole and the 7' high is the diameter of the net or how big is it. i think a 7' is to big if you are not doing it commercially i will go with no More then a 5 footer and fast sink
Make sure it's monofilament and not nylon. Nylon nets soak water and get really heavy. i prefer an 8' net and I want it to sink fast, but that's what I like for cast netting shrimp in Louisiana.

No comments:

Post a Comment