Tuesday, August 24, 2010

How do you start your own business while working 50 or so hours a week, plus kids, husband and a house?

I work full-time while trying to start a custom photot album business that has great potential. I just don't seem to have enough hours in the day. My husband is a police officer who does not make enough to support the family on one income so I can't just quit. I need time to work my business but still have to have an income.How do you start your own business while working 50 or so hours a week, plus kids, husband and a house?
I am in the same situation with you, though the reasons are different. I work full time at a job because I love the work so much, while at the same time working with my husband on our business while raising 2 very young kids.





As you know, it is NOT EASY. Coupled with the fact that I am one big procrastinator, which did not help any.





Here is what I do:





1. The night before, I plan out a list of what I need to do both at work and for the business. If I don't I'm hopelessly lost and often fail to do what I need to accomplish that day.





2. I have mastered the art of not sleeping (or sleeping very little). I work for the business when the kids are asleep - so that starts at around 9 pm. I'm often up until 1 or 2 am.





3. I work around the kids' naptime. In 1-2 hours in the afternoons, I need to cram as many work as I could do because when they wake up, it will be very difficult to get the work done.





4. Hire babysitters. They are the lifesavers and they keep me sane. And allows me the luxury of work.





5. Take care of yourself. This is extremely important. Sometimes if you push yourself too hard, it is counterproductive. Take a rest sometimes, take a breater. One thing I realized is that work never ends - even if you do not sleep now, there will still be work waiting for you tomorrow.How do you start your own business while working 50 or so hours a week, plus kids, husband and a house?
it's called sacrifice...make a list of your priorities and see where you can take.





no easy one step answer to this one
I admire your spunk!This is a tough one to answer.I did it when I was married with young children,however I started a homebased daycare.It was very sucessful and I was able to be home with the kids while they were little.I would suggest that you hire a teenager to watch the kids for a few more hours so that you may work on your photo album business.If this is not possible,could the kids lend you a hand or even your husband.Where there is a will there is a way!Good Luck!I wish you every sucess!
This will probably require late night/early morning time. Try to make use of other times such as commuting and lunch. Start small. part time with the business and see how much impacts your life and how successful you think it will be. Maybe it turns out to be a good part time job that allows you to cut back on other work hours or even better, lets you do the job you love the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment